America’s hospice professionals are on a mission to learn how to serve Veterans through the challenges they may be facing from illness, isolation or traumatic life experience. The program is “We Honor Vets.” (WHV)
Thanks to Covenant Homecare/Hospice (CHH) Clinical Social Worker Cindy Winterberger, VTVT was introduced to the WHV’s program in July 2016 during the Knoxville Regional Veterans Mental Health Council. As a result, Vet to Vet Tennessee (VTVT) joined the national movement to support veterans at the end-of-life, so that all men and women who served our country may live their final days in dignity and peace. By recognizing the unique needs of our nation’s veterans who are facing life-limiting illnesses.Click here to Read More
“We Honor Vets” (WHV) is a joint program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organizations and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Hospice-Veteran Partnerships (HVP) are coalitions of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities, community hospices, State Hospice Organizations, and others working together to ensure that excellent care at the end of life is available for our nation’s Veterans and their families. These coalitions may be community-based or statewide and may function independently or within an existing structure. HVP is a national program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospice and Palliative Care Initiative.
CHH developed a partnership and VTVT provided training to Cindy’s team in December 2016. Click here to read the after-action report (AAR).
On May 10, 2017 VTVT partnered with a our third WHF partner, the University of Tennessee Medical Center. Click here to read the AAR.
Only 30% of the veterans who use end of life care go to the VA. The WHV program is a great opportunity to reach the other 70%.
As a Vietnam War Commemoration partner, VTVT teaches WHV care givers and volunteers how to present veterans with the VWC presidential proclamation and lapel pin.